Learning to live in harmony with the environment is a core passion of mine. I have a broad technical background – a B.Sc. in biology & chemistry, a certificate in architecture, and a B.A.Sc. & Ph.D. in civil engineering – and share my knowledge and ideas through writing, drawing, and speaking. I live and work in Toronto, Ontario, Canada with my cat.
first print run Sept. 2019
Rev. 1 Dec. 2019
Rev. 2 Aug. 2020
Where does it all come from? Where does it all go? Toronto’s water, energy, and waste systems
In a big city like Toronto, it’s easy to live disconnected from the environment that supports us each day. Many of us do not know where our water or energy comes from or where our waste goes. This Toronto-specific picture book answers these questions for Torontonians of all ages and backgrounds in a simple and fun way. Looking at maps, readers can get to know specifically how they fit into the larger picture. Once we know where things come from and where things go, we are no longer lost. We are connected, and have a foundation upon which to develop a caring relationship with our environment.
$20 + $1(fed.tax) + shipping
$4 within Canada
stapled together similar to a zine, matte finish
printed & bound in Toronto on FSC-certified paper
Rev. 2 is 100% post-consumer recycled!
I ‘soft’ launched the book at Word on the Street (Sep. 22, 2019) and since then have had the pleasure of talking to people and selling the book at places in town such as:
- Wychwood Farmers Market (Oct. 12 & Nov. 28)
- Green Sunday Holiday Market at the Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) Annex (Dec.8)
- Brown Junior Public School (Nov. & Dec. 2019)
- Old’s Cool General Store (Feb. 15, 2020)
- ENSU x UTERN Market at University of Toronto (Mar. 5, 2020)
- Toronto East End Climate Collective (TEECC) (Jul. 10, 2020 online)
- Evergreen Brickworks Sunday Artisan Market (Aug. 23, 2020)
- Sept. 26 – 27, 2020 Word on the Street – virtual this year!
- Oct. 4, 2020 Evergreen Brickworks Sunday Artisan Market 10am to 3pm
- Oct. 15 – Nov. 8, 2020 Ecofair Toronto – virtual this year!
- Nov. 1, 2020 Evergreen Brickworks Sunday Artisan Market 10am to 3pm
- Oct. 24 – 26 – Canzine 2020 – the biggest zine fair in Canada
will be a creative virtual land this year! “including fantastical places such as Librarian’s Lagoon, Punks Path, Sci-Fi Shore, and Riot Grrrl River”
Updates and Errors
- Rev. 1 (Dec. 2019) incorporates the following minor changes:
- water supply infrastructure diagram piping around reservoir altered
- water supply infrastructure map footnote changed & R.L. Clark spelling corrected
- aesthetic changes, corrected grammar
- Rev. 2 (Aug. 2020) incorporates the following minor changes:
- some pages combined, page numbers added, order of last 2 pages switched
- watershed map footnote changed
- aesthetic changes
order a book
I take single orders within Canada: one 8.5″ x 11″ book. For other orders (larger or international), please email me.
$20 + $1 tax + $4 shipping (within Canada)
where else to find the book
- Old’s Cool General Store – near Main Subway Station in the east end of town – in stock (checked Sep. 17, 2020)
- ecoexistence – St.Clair W. Ave & Christie St. area – in stock (checked Sep. 14, 2020)
Summer 2020: The Ontario Water Works Association featured me and my book in their Pipeline journal.
Jul. 2020: You can see me talking (ever so briefly! @1:20) on Global News a day after a big storm in Toronto
Dec. 2019: I was profiled in an alumni article by University of Toronto Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering
Please reach out and let me know what you think of the book or if you have any questions. Also, let me know if you’d like to be on my email list!
My email address is: eco mariko toronto all one word the squigly “@” gmail.com
You can also follow me on Instagram @ecomarikotoronto
Copyright Mariko Uda 2020 – All rights reserved